Friday, January 18, 2008

And if you look at your reflection,
is it all you wanted to be?

Hi there,

I think I'm going to have to start keeping a notepad for blogging ideas. Today I had a couple of thoughts about what to write about, but the journey home and the minutiae of office work has let those flighty thoughts flutter back to the Muse. Bugger.

So what's been going on? Not exactly rock & roll (unless Chuck Berry helps you), but we've had a massive chuck out at home. Early spring cleaning. The house looks better for it as like most folk, we tend to accumulate 'stuff'. Clothes you don't wear, books / CDs / DVDs you don't like anymore and 'stuff'. I don't know about you, but I'm terrible. It's not that I can't bear to throw anything away, it's more that I can't bear to throw anything that a) isn't broken or b) could be useful in the event of the collapse of civilised society.

Luckily, some bright spark invented charity shops* and Freecycle - so a couple of trips in the car later, we can now see the hall carpet and walls. Prior to that it was beginning to look like that warehouse at the end of Raider of the Lost Ark. What I like about Freecycle is that people will come to your house/work can take things away. No postage, no faffing about and they're happy to take said item off your hands. It's free and it works, what's not to like? :-D

( * if you spread your deliveries about a bit you can check out if there are any cool clothes :) )

Now some folk frown at buying second hand, but I disagree. If the item is in good nick (Ed: she's talking about clothes... again) and is stylish / fashionable, then why not? Given last summer's tents with a neck hole in them, there was a rise the reports of 'vintage shopping'. I suppose posh folk have vintage clothes, middle class have charity shop gear and the working classes just don't give a sh** :)

So why today's lyric? Well, I don't know if this is a growing trend, but I pick out a line from a song when I feel a connection. Sometimes I'll be listening to music at work and a tune, or rather a lyric, will job my memory. Luckily I don't need the telephone very much, so it's headphones on, browser up and work-work-work.

Today I was washing my hands and I caught sight of my reflection.... for a split second my mind's eye flashed out my 'tranny image'. There...ummm... 'she' was to my left with exactly the same expression as I was giving the mirror - confusion. Very, very strange. Luckily the tranny me didn't tell me to kill anyone and was gone in an instant. So, it's one of three things:

1) I'm a loon.
2) It was just a daydream.
3) I'm not really Lynn, but the ugly sister to Nicky/Jessica from Heroes.

I think I need to get out more. :)

[ Lyric: Nine Inch Nails - Right Where It Belongs ]

9 comments:

  1. I tend to do all my clothing shopping in second hand shops, excluding shoes and undergarments (though I've found some wonderful things in vintage specialty shops for both). There are plenty of shops in Adelaide, yet there is a remarkably homengenious (and limited seletion) in regard to actual choices.I prefer more ethnic styles if I'm purchasing new.
    I end up giving the things I don't wear much to the sources I've purchased from, usually buying more at the same time!

    THe tricks mirrors play on us can be amusing. Keeps life interesting, for the mirror at least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity shops are my main source for handbags. How else would I fund such a collection?

    Build a rapport with local charity shop assistants, they will often point out things you may have missed, or have something they haven't put out yet, that they think may be what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma > It's a good job mirrors can't talk I guess. Hmmm. Now there's an idea for a book/comic, someone with ability to make mirrors 'rewind'.

    Funny how charity shops in different areas 'stock' different goods. Demographics I suppose.

    Pandora > So you're a handbag fiend? (313 class!) ;-) I have only two: a black leather one and a cute mini-rucksack style one. The black one just doesn't hold enough tho. Hairbrush, lippy, phone, keys, ack! No space!!

    I don't go regularly enough to build up a raport, but I think you're really on to something there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think I need to get out more. :)"

    That should have been no.4 - your reflection giving you a nudge. :)

    Let mwe know when you're next going to Notts Chams and I'll see if I can make it. No promises, as usual. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel > LOL. Quite possibly. "Get me out of this mirror!!" Ooo, it's all going a bit urban fantasy isn't it. I knew I shouldn't have had those mushrooms from the canteen. :)

    There's a meeting on this Thursday... actually if anyone else wants to tag along, feel free! With luck I - and maybe Rachel too - will be about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynn

    Dont forget its Helens birthday party and the bring and buy.

    Hope some of you can make it along - should be a good night.

    So get your dancing shoes out, annelou's bringing the lights. so we have the makings of a great party.

    sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anon :-)

    Sorry, Sandy - I couldn't resist. Helen's bash was good fun. I think you'll have to save the Bunty Rock Classics for another time :-)

    I hope the group made a few bob on the Bring & Buy!

    ps: Dancing shoes? I had to change, those other ones are just too big. Off to the charity shop they must go! Thank heavens for heels with straps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, you made me think. Am I all I wanted to be? Daunting. Who can live up to all they imagine themselves to be, especially when they wish the mirror sang a different song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vanessa,

    Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to hear from new folk.

    Perhaps one day you'll have what you want or reach a place where what you have is enough.

    Does your mirror sing that song? Or is it just that the singer looking back isn't the everyday you? My song goes up and down, and while the singer's outfit may alter, the voice remains the same.

    ReplyDelete