Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Big boys don't cry

After a hard day's logic, my brain seems to overheat on creativity. Well, in as much as blogging can be deemed to be creative. :) I was sat in an identi-kit chain pub earlier tonight, jotting down ideas on a paper napkin. [laughs] Is that what proper authors do? Or do they carry a notepad for such emergencies. Funny how the Muse struct me then and yet the laptop has been sat showing black screen for the last hour. A case of typing while the ideas are fresh perhaps?

I don't know what it is, but kids film seem to have perfect pitch when it comes to tugging my heart strings. I found myself blinking back a tear (Ed: she means she was blubbing like a softie) the other day when Wee Man and I were watching a DVD together. I wonder why this is?

Is it that childrens films deal with emotions (although that's not quite the right word) that we can all identify with? Death or loss of a friend / parent; wanting to belong, yet being the outsider or - and the one that gets me most of the time - noble sacrifice. Why the latter? Not sure.

Frequently the protagonist is a child and perhaps I sympathise too easily with that character. Hmmm. Not that I had a difficult childhood, far from it. Could it be that I don't want to see a child hurt? It's trite, yet maybe that's the root cause. Does anyone else get this? Is there a film or scene that 'gets you' every time? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

2 comments:

  1. To your question lynn, Yes, but hey guess what? You have emotions, a good thing n'est pas? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm not an emotional robot... but being able to not blub during the kids film at Xmas would be nice.

    I wonder if they desensitisation would work? :-)

    ReplyDelete