Friday, February 02, 2007

"Paint your fingernails at night / Style you hair in the bathroom light"

Hey y'all.

Another week draws to a close eh? Time for another Friday night brain-splurge into the blog hive mind :-)

They came. They saw. They had Chinese food.

So Transpocalypse 2 (working title: Opus Dey Do, Don't Do Don't Dey) has been and gone. I've been reading the posts about those that went and it seems everyone had a good time. Meeting new folk is always nice (well, unless they're armed and dangerous).

Liverpool was just too far for me this year, plus I don't think going away for 2 days would have gone down too well. I'm not disappointed (no, really) as there will be other times. I was too late for the Birmingham shindig being a Janey-come-lately to the whole blogging thing. I wonder if Leicester would be suitable? Not that I'm trying to influence matters. Remember the trouble Blunket got into! Heh. Note to self: check out clubs + resturants in Leicester.

Care to comment

Last week's blogpost had a suprising number of comments to it. Fourteen last time I checked. If I get any more I'll have to change my name to Becky. :-) I wonder what the web stats are like for the big hitters? (Becky, Jo, Miss K and Siobhan). If you're reading girls, I'm curious. I wonder how much those stats stack up against more mainstream blogs / forums. Is it that most Interweb sites are niche sites as well tho? Again, other than the search engines and establish brands (newspapers, retail, etc). That is one of the best things about the Internet; that there appears to be something for everyone on-line. Human nature being what it is, however, some of the things you don't want to see or, perhaps, stuff you wish didn't exist.

Jumping back to the big league blogs, I was in the canteen the other day - queuing as per - when I could hear the guy behind me talking about the BBC podcast detailing other people's blogs. Wooo, did I have a touch of The Fear then! Ahh, but what's the worst that could happen. I'm outted (been there) at work (no thanks). I guess people would get over it. Things have moved on since the 80s. Hell, it's acceptable to be ginger. Well, almost.... :-)

UK Angels

Happy birthday to the UK Angels! Jo reports that the webring is now seven years old. Given the strange double-time that the Internet seems to operate in, that's quite an achievement. You'll need to start humming the Symphoney for the New World for this next bit. (BTW, that's the Hovis ad theme to the rest of us). There has been quite a lot of change in that time. Broadband, blogs, botnets and I'm sure there are other Internet technologies that don't begin with 'B'.

The Internet Wayback machine doesn't have an archive for that site, which is a little bit of a shame because it would be interesting to wade back through the content and see what's changed over the years. On the flip side, not having that option means that the data is a little more private. Privacy and the Internet. Now there's a time-worn subject (and ironic too). Getting looked at, but not by people you know. Therein lies the rub eh girls? :-)

Psychic Telephone

I've had a new telephone at work and it has Caller ID. I'm finding this semi-useful but I've not yet resorted to not answering the telephone. What would be really useful is a psychic version of the system. 'Is the person ringing me with bad news?' If so, then there should be a little set of traffic lights. Green could be 'do you want to go to lunch?' or 'the firmware's fixed it!'; orange would be they may want you to do something, but next week would be fine and red would be get the hell out of Dodge. :-)

The Big Quiz

Next week it'll be time to put on the gladrags and mosey on down to Nuthall for a night out with the girls. Well, fingers crossed. You never know what Fate has lined up for you. Maybe Mystic Meg does? Mind you if she's so bloody psychic, how come she doesn't own the Lottery?

So, I've put together a little music quiz: five sections starting with the 60s and going up to today. I've done around 5 questions per decade and I'm wondering if I should pad it out any more? What I may do is put together some genre questions on famous songs / artists: pop, alternative, metal, dance, rap, etc and give the girls a choice. Failing that, it'll be audience partipation and a rip off of Nevermind the Buzzcocks' Intros round. The quiz is all for a bit of fun; so, no pressure (pap pap pap). :-)

It's a tough one as music (like comedy) is a very personal thing. I'm trying to reach a balance of the difficulty of the questions against the genre of music. We all listen to such a variety these days and to be honest, I really like that. In the days of yore you used to be a metaller (or greebo I guess), an indie kid or pop tart. Music has shifted and merged so much that I think it would be dull to listen to just one small slice of what's available. There is a huge amount of cross-over and I find it fascinating how folk can continue to use the same instruments yet continually come up with a new sound or style.

"Oh we got both kinds. We got Country, AND Western"

Apparantly it's line dancing at the end of the month. This isn't something I've done and, as previous posts suggest, I don't really do organised dancing. It is, however, rather fun to push yourself and do something a little different. Hell, I'd not done Karoke before either and that was a scream. In some songs, quite a lot of screaming.....

Anyhoo, while I'm okay with whatever passes for dancing to popular beat combos of the late 20th century, but anything that requires memory AND co-ordination - forget it. Clearly I lack the true multi-tasking brain circuitry that true women have. Proof, therein, that I'm just a tranny.

I'm also wondering what to wear. Sandi recommended a denim skirt - I guess you should put your thumb in your belt loops in a Dwight Yoakam stylee. Only, I don't own one! Also, I don't fancy the idea of flat shoes. Line dancing in heels? A&E ahoy! :-) Maybe I should try some skinny jeans and put them in my boots....

BTW I can't believe that that look is back in fashion - it's so very 80s. Perhaps that's the point. Mind you, I passed the Uni in town this week and it seemed that every girl had on opaque tights, a denim mini and ankle boots. Great view, but it's not a look for me: they're early 20s, I'm early 30s.

We're digressing (as per) from the subject in hand to go back to talk about: when should you no longer wear a fashion? I've read, not if you remember it. Shoot, I'm a tranny, I could probably give you a run down of what my primary school teacher used to wear. (Actually, now I come to think of it, I can remember perfectly what she had on. Go figure. Clearly, I was non-standard from a young age).

Maybe I should take that as not if you wore it the first time around? Now, I don't really do mini-skirts. I have maybe three above the knee outfits (two wrap dresses and a skirt) but everything else is either on the knee or trousers. Other t-girls do and they can look very nice. Maybe they're just not for me. But who knows eh? Perhaps I should do what my lovely wife does and pull a few things out of the wardrobe, stick one leg out and then go back to what came off the hanger first. :-) Trinny and Sooz, are you reading this? :-P
 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Birthday wishes

    My blog main page gets about 2000 hits a week, but my dress-up doll gets 6000 so maybe I should make more of them and stop blogging!

    Not long after the Angels webring started we began the Yahoo group, and you can access all 7 years of posts via Yahoo groups.. if you fancy ploughing through it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Credit where credit's due and all that.

    > 6000 hits

    Hands up who wished they got a penny per click then eh?

    I think I may pass on 7 years of posts. Again, a rich seam of information for future historians... or, YATGF :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hands up who wished they got a penny per click then eh?

    Aye ;) But with google banner ads it does make a few quid a month, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite looking forward to the music quiz, should be a hoot.
    Line dancing on the other hand now has me worried. I hadn't thought about shoes! Denim skirt/jeans - check, suitable top - should be able to find something, ten gallon hat! - check, shoes errr, every pair of shoes or boots I possess has a 3 inch heel. EEEKK! So I will probably be joining you down at A&E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn ~ Educate me... what the heck is a T-Girl? ~ jb///

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    A 't-girl' is another slang term for a tranny. Sometimes folks will refer to friends as 'girls' when actually they mean other trannys. To save confusion - no, really(!) - sometimes we prefix 'girl' with t- (for tranny) or r- (for real girl) or rarely, g- (genetic girl).

    BTW, how did you find your way here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddie > I think we better get some practice in dancing in heels by the sounds of it.

    Hope to see you on Thursday and fingers crossed the quiz will go down well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Mind you, I passed the Uni in town this week and it seemed that every girl had on opaque tights, a denim mini and ankle boots. Great view, but it's not a look for me: they're early 20s, I'm early 30s."

    It's a look I'm working on myself, with varying results... go on, try it! You might look great...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chrissy - the cheque's in the mail. :) It's a fine line between 'great' and 'great god! what *is* she wearing?' :-D

    Well.... I did re-try the footless tights look earlier today (no, not at the office) and it seemed to work with the right shoes. I just need a new denim number. [thinks: Primark!].

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynn, as this is the only way I know of getting in touch I just wanted to say, "Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog about Tranny Mentoring.". Unfortunately, god bless Blogger, the damn thing is totally caput. You leave a comment, I get it emailed to me, but it doesn't show up in the blog. Yes, I've triple checked my settings.

    Anyway, I've ditched my old blog and started a new one at www.tvdreams.co.uk/wp/. Promise to respond to any further comments you may feel incensed enough to leave. ;)

    Hey, pretty exciting stuff there that goes on at Notts Cham. Could be tempted to invade from across the border (Lincolnshire). Watch out for raiding parties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachel,

    Thanks for dropping by (with the new link). I did wonder what happened with the mentoring thingy - it does sound a good idea.

    Well, if you fancy straying over to the dark side, you'll be made welcome at NC.

    Happy Valentine's everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I may just make it over to NC or The Liversage Arms if you're really unlucky. Time is the enemy, although I appreciate it's a pretty feeble excuse, as it's the same for everyone.

    Had a lovely Valentine's, peppered steak, bottle of Laurent-Perrier and a romantic comedy (The Best Man) afterwards. My wife felt my choice of DVDs is improving as my other choice was "Attack Force", the new Steven Segal movie. Couldn't quite work out a romantic angle on that one so played safe. ;)

    Hope everyone else had a good one.

    ReplyDelete