Friday, November 10, 2006

Small world

Hey folks.

How's it going?

Sneer or cheer?

For the first time in a long time I watched the Pride of Britain Awards. Normally, that kinda thing doesn't pique my interest, but somehow I ended up watching it (tissues at the ready). To be honest, I found it really quite refreshing to see everyday folk be rewarded for their bravery or hard work. To often, it's easy to snub these type of events and write them off as total cheese-fests. The thing is, it wasn't an award show for The Best Soap or another golden gong for some Hollywood bigshot; these were everyday folk doing extraordinary things. The man who risked his life to save a mum and her child from a burning car; the teenagers who swam out to save three swimmers.

Do you dream of doing something heroic? Doing something to make a difference to other people's lives? When it's crunch time, how many of us would take that path and act with no regard for our safety? How many more of us would simply stop and watch? Hmmm....

Dancing Queen

The tickets for the Chams Xmas Do were handed out (top marks Sandi) on Thursday. I had one with my name on it! How special did I feel? (clue: 10/10). Karoke and a disco. I do *love* a disco and I've never been dancing en femme. Shopping, yes. Walking in fear down the highstreet that I'd bump into my mum, yes. But dancing no?

On Tuesday I had the good fortune to have a little time to myself and get dressed up. Firstly I tried on a more day-time outfit for the shopping trip (see below) and also practiced dancing in my heeled boots. Well, I won't be winning any prizes for the best waltz (toxic waltz or not), but I can at least stay upright to Jump by Girl's Aloud. Ahhh.... Tranny anthems. Can you feel it? :-)

Small World

Thursday at NottsChams was very interesting (no, really!!). I'm terrible with dates (and names for that matter) and I'd got it into my head that a group of us would be popping out for a shopping trip. This was not to be as it wasn't late night opening this week. Ah well. Tracey tells me there may be one later in the month, so fingers crossed for that one. BTW, a big thanks to Tracey and Sandi for giving me the keromask tester. I'll give it a whirl later in the week.

That's incidental, what actually made my night was a little closer to home. There I was queuing up for a nice cup of tea (as provided by the ever glamourous tea-lady, AnneLouise), I spy a new girl come to see us (lovely coat and fab boots). As the nights have drawn in, so have a few new faces and it's always good to meet new folk.

Sandi introduced me to Jenny (hi! if you're reading this) and as she spoke, my spidersense started to go off. Surely not, my mind was saying, did I know this person? And if I did, would they want to know that I knew? Ahh, be hung for a sheep as a lamb, I had to ask.....

L. Excuse me, but do you mind if I ask....?

J. The answer's yes. Hello.

Jenny had clocked me straight away when I walked in and she took the question rather well. Well, small world eh? I have to be honest, I never suspected Jenny's male equivalent at any time. So much for tranny-radar. Mine must be dud.

Well, we had a right old natter about this surprise revelation and we caught up about what the old firm was up to. Good fun indeed. As she left I sat there thinking it's funny how life throws you a curveball like that. A few years ago I think that would have been my worst nightmare: knowing that someone I know socially, knows my big secret. And now? Truth be told, it was nice to catch up with an friend from work.

BTW, if there are any first-timers out there put off by this, please don't be. Oh, and don't have nightmares. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment