Friday, November 17, 2006

Is it all just chemistry?

Hi everyone,

Bit of a strange week this time around. Well, maybe not as strange as last week (!!) but odd none-the-less.

Loss

This week a work mate left for pastures new. We did the usual thing, had a whip round and went down the pub for a farewell drink. He's headed off back down south and, if I'm honest, I miss his company. It's odd, but sometimes as a guy you forge quite strong friendships with other men. I don't know about the rest of you, but it doesn't happen very often and when it does, it's not pleasant.

Chemistry

As a bit of break from my usual literary diet of fantasy / science fiction, I thought I'd give something factual a spin for a change. That's the joy of Librarys isn't it. You can afford to take a risk because if you don't like the book, it hasn't cost you anything. Not quite the same thing with Amazon though. :-)

Anyhoo, this book was a semi-serious book about the differences between men and women. It was a little more than Men are from Mars and the author's had gone down the route that it's our biochemistry that truly dictates our base personality. Sure, you can try all the equality ideals you want, but ultimately (say the authors), either sex is better at certain activies by design. It doesn't say that we can't fight our genetic programming, but it will take a long time for the changes to filter into the gene pool.

For a bit of fun, there's a quiz in the book which you can use to find where you sit on the male/female scale. There is a tranny test on-line that contains the answer "what's the girliest answer I can give?" [lol] That always springs to mind when these quick question thingies appear. So, I answered as honestly as I could. This isn't supposed to be a I'm-girlier-than-you p*ssing contest, after all how can a quiz of 20 questions read your whole personality?

According to the scale, I've got a "gay brain". My score puts me well into the female camp (heh - camp!) but I am male and I have typical male personality characteristics. I'm solution orientated; I can't read facial expression for love nor money and I keep a lid of my emotions. However, thinking a little more, I'm terrible at parallel parking (spacial awareness) and map reading is a nightmare.

Sorry, if this a little me-me-me, but stick with me and we'll get to the point in a little while. Oh yeah, I prattle on too. :-)

The authors went on to propose a rather fascinating, if simplistic, theory on the human mind and personality. Basically, they suggest that the bulk of human sexuality and personality is all dictated by hormones. Male babies who get a hefty dose of testosterone, become super-butch men; those that get a standard dose are your average joes. Some males who don't get quite the right amount can become gay because the sexual part of their brains keep the default female orientation. This type of man may remain straight but have certain female characteristics (high communication skills but low spacial awareness). A similar thing can happen to females. Doses of testosterone can lead to male personality characteristics: high spacial awareness, limited language abillity or in extremes, lesbianism, as the brain's sexual centres turn to the male perspective.

I was both drawn in and troubled by this suggestion. Is it really that simple? The right amount of a hormone and we're all vanillas? I'm not sure how I feel about this being an answer. In some ways it implies that I don't have any choice in the matter. After all, how many times have you thought about quitting the TG thing, yet it still comes back to you. If this theory is the truth and you cannot fight your nature, perhaps as Jenny suggested last week, the only way forward is self-acceptance.

Discuss. :-)

Another night down the Central

Maddie sent me a link to a clever music little video. A very catchy little tune, but I can't see the video being on TOTP2. :-)

And finally....

In a Trevour McDonut stylee, here's a bit of light humour (no, not fun with bulbs). Out of curosity, I wondered if anyone was linking back here. I think it's called an ego-search. Anyhoo, apart from the blog engines, it's all quite on the Western Front. All, that is, except for an appearance in Google Finance. They have a section where you can see if bloggers are talking about your products. The mind boggles! So, there I was on the Anne Summers page muttering on about magic knickers. I wonder just how many firms out there truly know their market? :-)

BTW, if any Anne Summers' executives are reading this, a) get some bloody work done and b) you need to stock tights for longer legs!

Take care and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment