Monday, March 13, 2006

Group socials and fashion

Chams

Last week's Chameleons was pretty good. There was a quiz, which to be honest, was rather tricky. Still, better to be challenged than to breeze through it eh? :-)

That's it for the next two weeks or so for me. The group move down to Derby and the next Leicester gig isn't until next month. On the plus side, it does mean I can kick back on Thursdays/Saturday and there's no mad rush around the house to get dolled up... only to un-doll yourself at 11.... and on a school night too. Adults eh? :-)

Roses

I spoke with one of the Admins the other night who explained in great depth some of the issues the forum faces. It seems that the forum itself, like many other Internet communities - was the work of one person. When this person is gone, whoever picks up the torch has a lot of work to do. I don't know the full ins and outs of the current cull, but it sounds like the hosting company aren't being particularly helpful. Apparantly the forum uses up a lot of CPU time - rather than just bandwidth - and this is making the hosting firm push the Roses group into fixing things. Easier said than done. I hear that it's the photo section that may be the root of the problem. What is a tranny site without photos? :-)

I can see both sides of the argument, but I wonder if the forum would be treated differently if it was a business. Mind you, if it was a business, would said firm just chuck money at the problem until it was fixed? Money, the ultimate lubricant? :-)

Slap - but no tickle

I've still not got anywhere with getting any new base. My new job does not have flexitime, so getting out at lunch for a perusal of the shops, is not as easy as it was. Last week we (P + me + the boy) were in town and I did managed to get some samples from Boots. The Assistant asked me, "is it for you or your wife?" I must confess I bottled it and said it was for her. I did have a small toddler on my hip at the time and this, along with the crowds, made me nervous.

I suppose the best tactic would be just to travel to an out-of-town shop and - to use a fancy management term - JFDI. Just f***ing do it. :-) Hell, I've got a five quid voucher and they're offering freebies. My Scots ancestry have almost forced me to go. :-)

The Times

Last week Times2's Fashion section laid out the good, the bad and the ugly of this year's trends. Actually, that's not strictly true. What they said (to paraphrase) was what you should keep, what you should shred and what'll be around all season. Apparantly wrap dresses are sooo last season (balls); boots should be flat (rubbish, shoes should be high! It's tranny law) and jeans skinny. Unless you're a size 10 bean pole - can you do skinny jeans without looking like a carrot? Hmmm. Oh yeah, bootleg cut trousers are no longer cool. Cool, maybe not, but they are a damned sight more flattering than drainpipes.

I find these types of articles rather fascinating and for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I like women's clothes (like, duh. See blog title); it's fashion vs style sometimes and lastly, what happens when the media gets it wrong.

In October time I read that winter/xmas was going to be back to black and boots would be square heeled and round toed. Yet that's not what I saw on most women. Shoes remained pointy at the front and on the heel. Colour was everywhere. So who dictates what we wear? The Fashion houses, the highstreet or some strange hive men where women-kind flock towards an image they can pull off? Answers on a post card to the usual address.

Aside: [ Y'know that's one of the plus things about being a tranny. When you're watching the ladies, it's kinda double win: you think how nice they look AND you think how nicely they're dressed. Vanilla men - you're missing out. :-) ]

On that slightly camp note.... TTFN

2 comments:

  1. :-) Agree with your 'camp' note at the end there Lynn. in fact the first thing I notice about women is how they're dressed, what their make up is like, how they've done their hair, what shoes they're wearing etc. Then I think whether they're pretty or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo,

    I think you should see someone about that. You might be one of those "trannys" I keep reading about. :-)

    ReplyDelete