Friday, February 24, 2006

Thursday

Cr*p Blog Titles

I was going to make some weak pun on Straight Outta Nuthall (by Trannies With Attitude) but I decided against it at the last minute. Maybe I'll save the alternative lyrics for a slow news day..... Quiet at the back! :-)

It's been a good week (so far). I managed to get through the whole week without anything bad happening to myself or my family. I guess you should always be thankful for the these things.

Thursday Social

Nottingham's TG group rolled around (not literally) this week and it was at the new venue in Nuthall. Thursday's trip was a little different as having read that the changing facilities weren't up to much, I got changed at home. H and I had an agreement that I wouldn't leave the house all dolled up. Well, next door was away on holiday, so she said, sure, go for it - I just don't want to see you like that.

Now that comment may read a little harsh, but it wasn't said like that. I have no problem in her not seeing me in.... tranny mode... would that be the right term? It'll have to do I guess. To be quiet honest, I've a lot of respect for tgirls and their partners who do see each other. I'd be far to embarrassed if I'm honest.

So, I got my face on, did my hair (translation: put my wig on) but to keep the noise down, I popped my slippers on rather than my heels. How very Hilda Ogden*

[ * BTW, that's not going to mean anything to you unless you're from the UK. My apologies. Let's just say, it's very Northern. ;-D ]

I get into the car, put my proper shoes on and realise that driving in flat shoes is so much easier than heels. Of course, being a tranny, I carry on regardless. :-)

The venue was easy to find and there were lots of folk there. I read that there was a karate group before us (kids too), so I was glad that I missed them. Not that I didn't want to be seen, moreover I didn't want the kids to see me. Growing up is hard enough and they don't need to see tranny folk wandering around and I didn't want to upset their parents. Besides, I make it a rule of thumb never to cross a ninja. :-)

I spent most of the evening stood up chin wagging with Rachel, Hannah and a girl whose name, I am ashamed to admit, I cannot remember! Honestly, I'm fine with faces, but names I have to mentally repeat again and again. Otherwise...pffft. Gone.

One thing I have discovered about going out - other than it's fanbloodytastic and you really do get to meet a wide variety of people - is that 1) not having pockets makes me fumble where to put my hands ("leave it!" - Ed) and 2) women's clothes aren't made for warmth.

Hats off to Daphne, Sandi and Jayne for organising the event. The room we were in didn't quite have the same charm as Arnold, but it is easier to get to and just maybe, we'll get to use the bar next time. Now we're talking. :-)

My thigh muscles are also quite tight at the mo. Does anyone get this after standing about in heels all day? Just curious.

What's in a quiz?

Jo has an entry about a book by Kate Bornstein. I must confess that I've not read it, although it sounds very interesting. I'm still thinking about My Husband Betty - whose title still makes me laugh - as I hear it has some uncomfortable truths in it. Sometimes meeting your demons head on is a good thing. Well, unless you're Gandalf that is. :-)

[ Caution - you are now entering a stream of consciousness!

"I am Gandalf The Gender Enhanced. Check out the heels on these boots your furry footed midgets. Pippin, ditch the cape, it's sooo last year."

"He's back. And this time he's gray. Gandalf II - The Crackdown."

Ah well, only two years too late on those. :-)

]

[ahem] Where were we? Oh yes, quizzes. Funny things Internet quizzes. I do do them, but strictly for a laugh if I'm honest. I don't think they give any deep meaningful insight into your psyche than Psychology magazine does.

If you fancy a go, the link is here. I got 86 which falls into:

Gender Outlaw

Honey, you're too far gone to make the climb back up to 'real' man or 'real' woman, working not only on your own gender, but the subject of gender itself for quite some time, huh? I'm willing to bet things are still a bit scary and a bit serious for you in your life. Your next step would be to let yourself explore some of the place that really thrill you, no matter the social taboos. Just be kind and compassionate when you are doing it.


Is that a clever way of saying: honey, your gender is f***ed? :-)

3 comments:

  1. Lynn - glad you found the quiz fun ;-)

    I've read 'My husband Betty' too - it's really good isn't it? Thoughtful and insightful. Helen Boyd has a website too (think its www.myhusbandbetty.com) which is interesting (though very US focused). We swapped e-mails a few times, she seems nice.

    On another note - spotted you were out and about at a Nottingham tgirls group. You don't know Tina Dey do you? She lives in the area I think - she's a lovely girl who I used to know via the UK Angels, but we lost touch.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either yet... In fact I only just finished "She's Not There" by Jennifer Finney Boylan a couple weeks ago. Boyd though is on my list of authors to read, and now I must add Bornstein.

    Without any further ado...

    105 points
    Gender Novice
    Gee, it's like you have one hand in respectability and the other hand someplace where both of you like it. You're not always taken for 'normal', are you? In fact, you probably get an infrequent but regualar bout of the gender willies from time to time, don't you? And a lot of this gender stuff is probably kinda new to you ... a little scary and a little thrilling, right? Maybe it's time to explore exactily what scares you. Go on ... you know how to be gentle with yourself.


    About right...

    Cheers!

    Lizz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo & Lizz,

    Nice of you to drop by. :-)

    The quiz is a bit of a laugh and some of the questions raised a titter or two.

    I must confess that I've not read the book yet - it's on my (ever growing) list of things to do.... I've heard positive things and it's not all "pats on the back" either.

    Jo > Tina? Hmmm... I can't say the name rings a bell, but if I catch the name in conversation, I'll pass on a "hi" from you.

    Liz > Thanks for posting the results. It's interesting to read where people sit on the quiz spectrum. Not that it's a) realistic or b) a competition.

    ReplyDelete